Well over 20 years ago I found myself serving a mission in Belgium and France. Scrawling the words Par Avion on my letters home.
Now I find myself writing that on my almost-weekly missives to my oldest child. Who finds himself serving a mission just across the pond in the U.K.
I am thankful for a SIL who reminded me--long before my own child left--that despite the wonders of instant and regular e-mail to and fro, missionaries still need something tangible. Something to feel in their hands, hold to their hearts, and tear open with anticipation.
And I remember.
There is the weight and value beyond any treasure in the feel of an envelope addressed by hand specifically to you and carrying with it all the love, support and memories of home and family long ago and far away.
Although I could just drop my letters to Luke in the mailbox posted just past the sidewalk out my front door, I don't.
I get in the car and drive them across town to the East Bay Post Office. And while I drive I pour all the love, thought, energy and prayers I can into the simple, unkempt handwriting scrawled across the pages of my letters to him.
Most of the news is either old or redundant by the time it reaches him. But I also occasionally toss in some memento of our lives here--the program from the Mr. PHS contest--with a play-by-play of the hysterically funny talent portion. A program from L~'s final choir concert at Dixon. The seminary graduation program with his brother's name listed under the section of graduates from our ward.
Small and simple things that I hope will remind him he is still a part of our lives even while so far away.
I miss him. I won't tell him that--as if somehow not telling him will help him miss us less (it won't)--but it's true. I pour a little of that missing into the letters as well. Along with a piece of my heart that still has a hole in it where his daily presence in my life used to be.
I don't know if he gets it. He is busy and is focused on his mission. As he should be.
But if nothing else I hope he feels the love. I hope it wraps itself around him and envelops him in a great big hug from home. I'd like to believe it is part of what seals us to him and him to us for eternity.
LOTS of love and BIG hugs--
Love,
Mum
1 comment:
All so very true, Dalene. Max le facteur was a friend indeed. I hope Luke is sending home letters to you as well.
Post a Comment