Monday, November 05, 2012

Remember, Remember the Fifth of November

It's the eve before a Presidential election. How could I forget? First, I am going to congratulate myself. Not only did I not tell anyone how to vote--not even my two children who are registered voters--I still actually like almost every single one of my friends who pushed their politics on me over and over again. I kept my politics out of social media and I didn't smack any of the extremists I know from either side upside the head when they became super obnoxious. As much as they annoy me, a part of me is a bit envious, wondering what it must be like to still believe in someone, anyone. To still be able to believe anyone.

Yay me.

Second, it is indeed Guy Fawkes Night or Bonfire Night. At our house (forgive me my British friends) it is simply good reason to burn stuff and fry stuff. Or, in my case, because I am a lousy fryer, burn what was supposed to be fried stuff.

This year I tried my hand at these wonderful Apple Cider Donuts. "Were they good?" You might ask. They were SOOOOO good I would learn to be a good fryer just to not ruin them. I didn't really ruin them, I just have a difficult time finding the perfect balance between doughy and crispy. But these are totally worth practicing on. They are the best donuts ever. (Of course, you can't really go wrong with freshly ground cardamom.)

Third, because it was a rough day in some respects (many of the things that are hard in my life surfacing all at the same time, plus heartbreak and sorrow among friends and strangers alike:  note to self:  STOP READING THE NEWS FIRST THING IN THE MORNING!), Ima going to look at some good:  productive morning, cooperative puppy, beautiful day, good people I truly enjoy and kindred spirits at work, a surprise visit from a dear friend.

And hello, really, REALLY good donuts!

My older kids are still outside burning stuff. I'm calling it a night.

'Night.

No comments: