Saturday, February 07, 2009

Eighteen years ago I was a struggling SAHM married to a struggling school teacher and we had just moved into this neighborhood when a new friend asked me if I was interested in babysitting her daughter.

I said no.

Then something inside my heart said, "Say yes."

So I went back to my new friend and did what I was told.

The late 20s me is not the best mom to little kids. She was mostly good, had moments of greatness, but was also a little stressed.

But she loved this little girl and enjoyed having her be part of her family by day.




Today that same little girl, now almost 19, showed up at my door to give me a big hug and see how I was doing. I was just getting ready to repack Shane's wound for the first time, so I asked her if she could come back in about 15--which she willing did--and we visited. I showed her the latest pictures of Luke. She wanted to go for a drive so I asked her to take me on an errand and then we drove up Provo Canyon.

Provo Canyon was grey and rainy and ruggedly lovely.

The ride and our visit and her hugs were just what I needed.

2 comments:

Klin said...

I am amazed at the circle of friends and love you have surrounding you.

It's my guess that you are reaping what you have sowed. Sweet sowing, Dalene. Sweet Sowing.

dalene said...

What a beautiful way to phrase it, Klin. I was talking with our nurse on Friday about all the prayers on Shane's behalf and the amazing support group we are blessed with. She acknowledged what a difference it can make while dealing with something like this. She told us that because they deal specifically with head and neck tumors in that clinic, they see a lot of patients whose lifestyle choices have contributed to their conditions and they are often loners without any support. That broke my heart to think about people having to deal with something like this alone.

I want you to know that you and your uplifting and encouraging comments on both of my blogs brighten my day and remind me what a blessing it is to have such support. It's also a good reminder to keep trying to give something back.