Monday, November 10, 2008

I like being able to have this type of dialogue with each of my older kids as needed:

"You are not being fair to me."

"I do not want to be a nag. It's not in my nature. But I am your mother. When you choose not to do what you say you will you put me in a position where I have to get on your case. Do not do that to me. I do not want it to get in the way of our relationship."

"I want to trust you, but you have to earn it. It is easier to maintain my trust than to get it back once you have betrayed my trust."

There are a number of adults close to me with whom I wish I could have similar conversations. But I can't. So I am even more amazed that teenagers are capable of such conversations and open to such honesty.

No comments: