I'm in the middle of compiling a few letters for Luke. They consist of notes left on paper I passed around during the gathering that ensued after he spoke in church last week. (I need to get them in the mail today so he will have some mail when he arrives in the U.K.) I can't help but read a few as I put them together in groups of four sheets of paper each, to remain at 1 oz. or under to qualify for the 94-cent postage. One in particular touches my heart. It is from a boy who moved here a few years ago and who kind of grew up w/ Luke until high school when their interests took them down different paths. He thanks Luke for encouraging him and showing him the way and mentions that he is starting to kind of figure things out. I know this boy has struggled and it warms my heart to know he is figuring things out. I wish him well.
It occurs to me that I am grateful beyond words for the power of a good example. The truth is, there were many good examples that influenced and inspired Luke thus far in his life. I also recognize and appreciate the good example he has shown for others. I have heard other stories, ones I won't detail here, but which I hope I never forget, of how Luke's good choices and desire to do good have made an impact in the lives of others. Most importantly, I am beginning to glimpse the beauty of what it can mean for a family when the oldest child leads off with a good example. I know there are challenges--current and future--to overcome. But somehow I feel more hopeful about the eventual outcome knowing that thus far Luke has chosen the good path and has shown the way to those who follow. I realize Luke still has lessons to learn, choices to make and things to figure out. I wish him well.
Saturday, August 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
No words.
*sigh*
No way can Luke be that old. What a Handsome guy. What a wonderful time in your life! What a Lucky boy to have you as his Mother!
Thanks for the kind words. Our prayers are with you, yours and Nie! xoxoxo
Lovely . . .
Thanks Kelly. It is a wonderful thing and I am lucky to have him as my son.
Wendy--Thank you. It's great to have you here.
p.s. Kelly--I remember when Heath was the chorister for Luke in Primary! Luke really looked up to him (well, I guess a lot of people look up to him!). Time has flown so quickly! We miss you guys.
Post a Comment