I have this really bad habit of feeling the weight of everything I need to do over a span of time and letting it pile up on me until I feel so overwhelmed I'm afraid I'm going to snap. I'm not just talking about the usual--family, dishes, laundry, house, three meals a day, etc. I'm talking about helping plan a tour for 130 people that has become so much more complicated than it needs to be, managing the family finances and doing this year's taxes, preparing for an Eagle Court of Honor for my son tomorrow night, planning ahead for my husband's birthday on Tuesday, and trying to attend way too many events--showers, birthday parties, etc. than I can realistically get to in one day. I usually manage OK when I feel well, but I have a sinus infection and I don't feel well at all. But the show must go on.
Here is where I am making progress:
Last night I e-mailed a few friends and called my SIL and asked them all to bring some cookies or bars for refreshements to the Court of Honor. This instead of baking all night tonight and tomorrow morning. It was hard for me to ask. I did not make them feel obligated in any way. I was so relieved and felt so loved when they said yes.
I am not going to two of the baby showers I was supposed to attend. I just can't do it. I am, however, sending gifts.
I asked my husband to pick up the groceries so I can make the food I need to for the birthday party.
I'm cheating by having my husband run out to the scout office to pick up this adhesive stuff for attaching the merit badges to the bandalo--no sewing!
Here is where I have room to improve:
Despite my propensity to make my lists backwards (after I do them), I'm going to make a list--maybe I'll even do it here--and set deadlines for myself so I can break the burden up into chunks I can handle. I will have a goal to have my load lightened by next Wednesday, which is one week from the day I leave for Seattle. I hope that will allow me to enjoy conference weekend and spend the time I need to getting myself and my family ready for me to be gone.
If and when certain things beyond my control fall apart, I will not accept or carry guilt for them, particularly when I tried multiple times to be a voice of reason and call for working smarter, not harder.
I will do at least one thing every day that will help me feel peace and contentment.
the list:
*get well
*do the dishes
*clean the living room
*fold the laundry
*clean the dining room
*recurring themes on my to-do list (which, by the way, may be added to at will)
Today
clean the master bathroom
clean my room--again
apply for 0% interest balance transfer
Sunday
retake our back bench that has been confiscated by other families in recent weeks because we have been late to church (I failed)
Monday
deal with inactive account status and fees from a certain annoying bank
Tuedsay (yeah right, what was I thinking?)
order and pay for food for tour's Sunday lunch at Subway in La Grande, OR
order and pay for food for tour's Sunday dinner from Little Casaers (yuck) in Boise, ID
complete any last minutes assignments for tour
teach youngest son how to catch and throw before "the draft" which will happen while I'm gone
practice with youngest son
Wednesday
complete anything left on "the list"--HUGE!
look forward to reading Crossing to Safety
4 comments:
First of all, this blog is entitled "Simple Things". I merely wanted to point out the irony.
Secondly, I've read and re-read your to-do list, and I can't find a single thing on there that I can take over for you. That is, unless some of the mundane chores from Saturday's list rolled into the next few days. I know you have a distaste for asking for help with that stuff, but I hate to see you so stressed out, and it makes me stressed for you...so if there's something I can do to help, please let me.
Oh yes. The irony is not lost on me. And usually on this blog I stick to the simple things that make me happy instead of the complicated things that stress me out. But I needed to unload "the list" somewhere, and this is my more personal page, so here it is.
Thank you for your kindess. Simple kindnesses as in just wanting to help work wonders for me and see--you already did that!
It will all be good--just spreading the list out over days instead of into one big long pile of things to do that was crushing in the top of my brain was a simple thing I could do and I feel better already.
And now that my last child straggled home and went to bed I'm going to do the same.
Thanks again daredevil!
Scrap the pedicure--you need a massage after those lists! ...And you won't even have to scrounge up a dime...I work on Wednesdays...I really do...and I'm serious about the offer!
Am'n2deep--it was so great to see you tonight! And I will take you up on that offer. I'm looking forward to it!
Post a Comment